Hayward Shoreline today (Hermit Warbler)

Jay

I birded Winton Avenue from 10:15-11 today.

Most interesting item was right when I got out of the car--a Hermit Warbler in the last tree on the right of the parking lot (closest to the lovely outhouse): had a couple of partial views, but clearly yellow face and black chin, although never a clear look at the body. Then it was gone and not refindable.

Western Tanager
Warbling Vireo
Allen's H (several, one in a turf battle with an Anna's)
Anna's H
White Tailed Kite (circled a couple of times and was calling)
WC Sparrow

Jogged over to the marsh afterwards, hoping for the Black Terns. I first looked from the Least Tern sign (thanks for the landmark) and was unsuccessful, went around to the most western or southwestern viewpoint, where I clearly saw 1 Black Skimmer "skimming" the water in the distance almost as far as what I'll call the breakwater that seems to go all the way across the pond. I'll call this the southeastern end of the pond.

Went back to the Least Tern sign, and was very patient. Eventually I thought I saw 1 Black Tern circle and return to the far island. I wouldn't stake my life on it, I had no scope and it was pretty far away. Although I honestly can't think of a good alternative. Guess I'll have to invest in a scope at some point.

On the jog back, I saw a flock of about 40 White Pelicans heading south (I had seen a lone one earlier).

Jay Dodge,
Berkeley