Hayward Shoreline (5/13)

Bob Richmond

Today at the shoreline -

Merlin - 1 is the latest record I have for the shoreline. The previous late date was 5-2-07.

Perigrine Falcon - 2 over Ora Loma Marsh. This is the first time I have seen 2 in May at the shoreline.

Black Tern - 3 over Hayward Marsh, where up to 12 have been seen this week.

Black Skimmer - 2 in Hayward Marsh.

Ash-throated Flycatcher - 1 along Sulfur Creek. They are usually seen in most springs at the shoreline.

Western Kingbird - 1 along Sulfur Creek near the railroad tracks is only the second one I have seen at the shoreline this spring.

Swainson's Thrush - 12 (est). Most were at Winton Ave.

Hutton's Vireo - 1 in the trees along Frank's Dump East. 4th May record I have for the shoreline. 1st May record in 11 years.

Western Tanager - 2 or 3 males. 1 at Winton Ave., 1 in the trees across Winton Ave. from the Park Office, 1 possibily in the trees along Frank's Dump East.

Black-headed Grosbeak - 1 male in the trees along Frank's Dump East.

Golden-crowned Sparrow - 1 along the trail leading to Cogswell Marsh, near the first pond on your left. I only have 3 later spring records at the shoreline.

Bob