Re: Unidentified Bird in Mitchell Canyon

Ted Robertson

Did you rule out Spotted Towhee? A bird very common to that habitat
with markings that you describe.
--Ted R.--

On May 10, 2010, at 11:49 AM, JimRoethe@... wrote:

On Friday, I hiked up Mitchell Canyon and turned up White Canyon. Just
short of a mile up White Canyon, almost to where the trail opens up to
grassland, I saw a bird that I have been trying to identify. To the
left of
the trail were the remnants of the creek and live oaks and to the
right were
a few brushy trees and the typical scrub that flank much of Mt.
Diablo. I
got a good look at the bird, but only for a couple of seconds.

The bird had a very dark back, head and throat (almost black).
Wings were
also black with white wing bars. The breast and belly were brick
red/orange (similar color to that of a Black headed Grosbeak) and
the line between
the breast and the throat was very sharp. The red/orange did not
appear to
extend into the scapular or back area. Just a very dark bird with
white
wing bars and a red/orange breast and belly. Bird was probably smaller
than a Grosbeak. The bill was dark, clearly not a Grosbeak and
seemingly
larger than a warbler, but I didn't get a great look at the bill.

Could this have been an Orchard Oriole?

Regards,

Jim

Jim Roethe