Re: First Friday (March 2, 2012) GGAS Birdwalk at Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

I had to leave early to go to work, but I also saw many Golden-crown Sparrows ( http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/120302-Jewel-Lake/slides/0302-093220-02.html ) and what I thought was an American Goldfinch ( http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/120302-Jewel-Lake/slides/0302-090632-01.html )

George
http://birds.jorj7.com

--- In EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com, Alan Kaplan <lnkpln@...> wrote:

Friends!

A real mob (Many OBservers) showed up for the First Friday Birdwalk at Tilden Nature Area on March 2, 2012.

Over 60 birders came, including a guest from Juneau, AK. Marissa Ortega-Welch from GGAS staff and Steve Lombardi, our birdwalk coordinator, also came along.

Thanks to Marissa for the Ruby-crowned Kinglet song "sighting" and to Ralph P. for that amazing catch of a White-tailed Kite way, way up there!

Next walk is April 6 at Tilden Nature Area (meet in the EEC/Little Farm parking lot, 8:30am), and we'll have a special Second Friday Birdwalk on April 13 at Inspiration Point in Tilden Regional Park (also at 8:30am) as part of the GGAS Birdathon. You can sign up at the Golden Gate Audubon website, or just show up. I will match Birdathon donations up to a total of $500.00.

Thanks to all who attended for this great bird list:

Mallard
Bufflehead
Turkey Vulture (makes it official!)
White-tailed Kite (thanks, Ralph!)
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird (for sure; John had seen the bird in the same place the last three weeks)
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker (for a woodpecker Grand Slam)
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (doing its full song, softly)
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Varied Thrush (for a thrush Hat-trick)
Yellow-rumped Warbler