Hilary Powers <hilary@...>
Offlist, someone wrote:
Hi Hilary,Heh - you're right, it doesn't follow. But the error is in the genus name; I shoulda said "all the cavity-nesting ducks egg drop." Doesn't pay to get too clever without looking things up....
On what's a species - when I was in school (in the 1950s), we learned that the defining point was the inability to produce fertile offspring. But that line has gotten a lot shakier over the years, especially with birds; don't a lot of the white-headed gulls produce fertile young?
And I've heard - from a scientist running a polar bear research center, who certainly ought to know - that polar bears and grizzly bears produce fertile offspring....
- Hilary Powers - hilary@... - Oakland CA -
- Freelance copyediting and developmental editing -
- "Making Word Work for You" - www.the-efa.org/res/booklets.php -
- The edit you want - online, on time, and on target -
- Salamander Feltworks NOW LIVE - www.SalamanderFeltworks.com -