First Friday (Feb. 3, 2012) Birdwalk at Tilden Nature Area for GGAS

Alan Kaplan <lnkpln@...>

Hello, Friends!

A wonderful turnout of birders and birds occurred on Friday, February 3, 2012 at Tilden Nature Area (Contra Costa County, though the address is Berkeley, CA [Alameda County]. Over 30 birders, including visitors from Minnesota. Thanks to Denise Wight, Phila Rogers and Maury Stern. Nel Benningshof promoted the Great Backyard Bird Count two weekends from now; details at the Cornell birds site, I think. Thanks, too, to Bob Lewis for the training on January 21 !

Bushtit
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Townsend's Warbler
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker ( for a woodpecker hat trick!)
Hutton's Vireo (scold call was heard)
Double-crested Cormorant
Red-tailed Hawk
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Yellow-rumped warbler
Turkey Vulture (makes the birdwalk official, according to Travis)
American Robin
Steller's Jay
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Varied Thrush
Belted Kingfisher
Mallard
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Hooded Merganser
Song Sparrow
Band-tailed Pigeon
Dark-eyed Juno
Red-shouldered Hawk (for a raptor hat trick!)
Brown Creeper
Spotted Towhee

Almost one species per participant! Next walk is March 2nd, and our theme will be migration. See you there! Same place (Tilden Nature Area/Little Farm) same time (8:30 am).

Best of Birds!

Alan Kaplan