Pacific Common - possible Glaucous x Glaucous-winged Hybrid

Jerry Ting

This is a late report. While processing hundreds of gull images taken on 1/31 from Pacific Common, I noticed this somewhat unusual gull. It has yellow bill, pale eye, pink orbital ring, lightly streaked head, pale back and primaries. The bill shape and color seems to match Glaucous but wingtips are not entirely white/translucent. The best matched image that I can find from Howell and Dunn's book is 33.28 (page 240). My guess is a Glaucous x Glaucous-winged Hybrid. Any suggestion/comment will be much appreciated.

Images of this gull can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/6805450295/in/photostream. Click on the image to see the large version.

Happy Birding,
Jerry Ting