Common Goldeneyes continue- Laney College

VerneN

The Common Goldeneyes that Allen Hirsch's reported and photographed
displaying at Laney College are still there as of yesterday. They feed
and raft but also break into fascinating courtship displays and
male-male challenges that are wonderful to watch.

My usual view of a Goldeneye is a female swimming warily away from the
shoreline as I approach, so seeing males and females together and almost
oblivious to human presence is a rare opportunity to observe their
behavior. They are only about 30 feet from the shore of the channel.

Here's another shot of the male's "head over heels" pose-

http://www.pbase.com/image/141143692

Look for "Laney College" on this map to get driving directions:

http://tinyurl.com/2cn9952

There were also several Barrow's Goldeneye- male and female- feeding but
not displaying.