Heather Farm ring-necked ducks

carolfow

The ring-necked ducks are back. I counted about 41 on the mostly natural pond at the north end of the park yesterday (Friday) about 4:30 p.m. They were easily seen from the fenced cement area on the east side of the pond near the parking lot. There were also about 21 buffleheads. I've been visiting this pond for years, and have never seen so many of one species of the winter visitors. It's fairly common to see four to six buffleheads, and perhaps a pair of ring necks, but never this many. No pied-billed grebe or black-crowned night herons, usual residents, this time. A few cormorants (double-breasted, I think) around the island.

Carol Fowler
Walnut Creek, CA