Claremont Summer Tanager

Mark Rauzon

Around 2:30, just after it stopped misting, I opened my car door to get ready to look for the Summer Tanager found by Graham Chisholm over the weekend, and bingo, it popped up on the parking sign right behind my car. I stayed around my car's back door and photographed it as it returned a few times to the cotoneaster berries along side the Sotheby's Real estate office in front of the pink house (#26?) on Domingo and Tunnel Road. It would fly across the street, perch on houses and bare trees and circle back to the berries. There is a lot of foot traffic here and my impression is the bird is somewhat accommodating. Several neighbors asked me what I was doing, and they were interested, but be aware this is a high traffic area with a school near by, so people may be suspicious.

http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p859914566/h964e72a#h964e72a

Any comments on subspecies/morph/gender?

Good birding,

Mark Rauzon
Oakland