Re: Tanager -- Berkeley

Graham Chisholm

Following up on Kay's message, the tanager I found yesterday morning along
Domingo Street in Berkeley just south of Tunnel Road is definitely a female
Summer Tanager. It reappeared at 10:20 this morning feeding on the red
berries right above the side walk. It flew in from across the street and
then flew off into the maple by the gas station on the corner. It is large
billed, it's back lacks the contrast of Western Tanager and has faded red
around face, belly and below the tail. Nice to know that all the birds are
not just at Aquatic Park.

Graham Chisholm
Berkeley

On Jan 21, 2012, at 3:17 PM, Kay Loughman <kayloughman@...> wrote:

Graham and all,

I saw the bird for several minutes this afternoon at 2:30. Am quite
sure it was a Summer Tanager, possibly a red-morph female, as there were
blotchy reddish patches visible (with binoculars) on the breast and
belly as well as the head. The bird was feeding on cotoneaster berries
right at the sidewalk; but soon flew south toward the camphor trees at
the corner of El Camino Real. If anyone gets a photo of this specific
bird, I would very much appreciate getting a copy to post on the website
for Claremont Canyon area wildlife.

Thanks,
Kay Loughman
in the hills above the Claremont Hotel, Berkeley
www.nhwildlife.net

Graham CHISHOLM wrote:

This morning at 9 am while out walking I had a quick glimpse of a tanager
feeding on berries just south of the corner of Tunnel Road and Domingo in
Berkeley. The berry trees are along the parking lot of the Sotheby's Real
Estate office. Unfortunately I did not have binoculars with me and only
had a quick view confirming that it was a tanager with slight reddish wash
around the face, overall pale yellow appearance though I did not get a
good
look at the back. Bill did not appear large and I am leaning toward
Western Tanager. I returned with binoculars and looked again without
success, but the plentiful food source makes me think it will be back.

Thanks. Graham

--
Graham Chisholm
Berkeley