First Friday Birdwalk (GGAS) at Tilden Nature Area January 6, 2012

Alan Kaplan <lnkpln@...>

Friends!

"Thank you" to the 40+ people who came to the birdwalk at Tilden Nature Area today. We had good views of Downy Woodpecker working a branch for insects at the entrance to TNA, a couple of Varied Thrushes, and a pair of Hooded Mergansers (male and female) at Jewel Lake (the latest edition of the TNA checklist has them as "very rare" (fewer than 10 records in season)). Next month (February 3rd at 8:30 am) we'll continue the theme of winter survival (physiology, food and behavior).

Here is a list of birds seen (or heard):

Mallard
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Red-shouldered Hawk (heard)