Blue-Winged Teal at La Riviere Marsh & other stuff

scfloyd2000

This afternoon, a male and a female Blue-Winged Teal are at La Riviere Marsh at Don Edwards NWR in Fremont (Thornton Avenue off Highway 84 just before the Dumbarton Bridge). Take the stairs down from near the Visitor Center and go out the raised boardwalk. The teal are in the second pond north of the boardwalk. Best viewing is before you come to the curved section of the boardwalk.

Around noon today, I was having no luck finding white geese on Mt. Trashmore (West Winton entrance to HARD). Saw plenty of American Pipits. On my way back to the car, fifty Canada Geese flew over with three Snow Geese among them.

Around noon yesterday, a Red-Throated Loon was on Ballena Bay as viewed from the spit of land on the southwest side of Crab Cove in Alameda. The loon was way down by the condos and acting all looney - shy, diving a lot, staying down forever. A scope was essential.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont