Coyote Hills RP this morning

scfloyd2000

In a little over an hour, I found more than 40 species at Coyote Hills RP this morning despite the chilly fog.

A highlight was two or three continuing White-Faced Ibis, two seen close-up on Main Marsh from the bus parking lot and one that flew in when I was on the other side of the hill at South Marsh. The female Northern Harrier was hunkered down in the reeds on North Marsh having breakfast.

A Cooper's Hawk flew past a White-Tailed Kite and perched in a snag by Hoot Hollow mantling over its catch. Park service has cut down the largest hillside trees except for the huge "nest" tree in Hoot Hollow that Great Horned Owls and sometimes Red-Tailed Hawks use each year. The nest tree's lower arms have been cut off as well. New picnic tables have been placed in Hoot Hollow.

Notable at the park right now are the number of Hermit Thrushes (5) and Fox Sparrows (4) that I came across on my short walk, more than I've seen in past years.

At least two Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers are wintering as usual at the end of Quarry parking lot.

A relatively new resident Red-Shouldered Hawk perched on a telephone pole behind the Visitor Center.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont