Re: Prairie Falcon at Ardenwood Historic Farm, Fremont

scfloyd2000

Here is a link to Trent Pearce's much better photo of the Prairie Falcon seen at Ardenwood Farm on Saturday.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/Birding%202011-2012/PrairieFalconArdenwood121711Trent.jpg

We did not re-find the bird during Sunday's CBC. However, on Sunday Mona Brauer did find a Varied Thrush for us in the oak woodland near the boarded-up houses (northeast corner of the park). On Sunday and again today we also had Oak Titmouse and Brown Creeper here, and today a Merlin along with three of the many resident Red-Tailed Hawks. This afternoon, Phil Gordon joined Rich Nicholson and I in attempting to re-find a Black-Headed Grosbeak that we'd heard singing on Saturday and Sunday from tall trees near the mansion but had not been able to view, but we were not successful.

This morning, Rich, Bob Dunn, Sherrill Cook, Dave and Seth from Lafayette and I hiked the four miles or so round-trip from the Coyote Hills RP Visitor Center via the Bayview and Alameda Creek Trails to the pump station west of the hills where the Short-Eared Owls have been seen. We did not see any owls between 9:00 and 10:45. We did see several Northern Harriers, and a Merlin was perched on the towers of the pump station. A female Hooded Merganser in the slough north of the trail.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont

--- In EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com, scfloyd2000@... wrote:

This morning, Rich Nicholson and I previewed a section of tomorrow's CBC by birding Ardenwood Historic Farm in Fremont. In addition to about six Red-Tailed Hawks, a Sharp-Shinned Hawk, and a Cooper's Hawk, we saw one, maybe two, Peregrine Falcons, a Merlin, a kestrel, and a Prairie Falcon. A very poor digiscope of the Prairie Falcon is at the link below.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_1867.jpg

Head Naturalist Trent Pearce joined us on the walk and got much better photos of the Prairie, which with his permission I will share when I receive them.

The Prairie Falcon was perched near the top of a eucalyptus along the main trail northwest of the mansion. No sooner than we got on it and rushed to take photos, a resident Peregrine Falcon rousted the smaller bird and, both screaming, drove it from its territory. We lost the Prairie as it flew northeast, and we were unable to find it again.

Later, at Coyote Hills, we found a Red-Shouldered Hawk and two White-Tailed Kites, bringing us to a total raptor count of 9 species for the day.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont