Oakland CBC results, December 18, 2011

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Birders:

More than 150 birders covered the Oakland CBC count circle yesterday and recorded 178 species (preliminary count) while enjoying incomparably better weather than on last year's count.

This year we missed three formerly regularly occurring species: White-winged Scoter, Red Knot, and Bonaparte's Gull. Please send me details if you detect(ed) any of these species within the Oakland CBC circle during count week (Thurs Dec 16 through Wed Dec 21).

We also missed Lake Merritt's Tufted Duck on count day, but understand that it was photographed on Sat Dec 18. I'd also appreciate documentation of that bird, especially if it was seen on Sunday.

On Sunday, observers reported these unusual species:

Snow Goose: two juveniles on Alameda South Shore next to the Elsie Roemer sanctuary
Ross's Goose: with the Snow Geese
Red-necked Grebe: seen from the North Boat
Wandering Tattler: one on Treasure Island's north breakwater, and one on the breakwater outside the seaplane basin in Alameda
Lesser Yellowlegs: adjacent to the pond along Harbor Bay Parkway, next to the Oakland airport
Ruddy Turnstone: near Oakland's Doolittle Pond
Surfbird on Point Emery's rocky shoreline
Red-necked Phalarope: in the pond along Harbor Bay Parkway next to the Oakland airport
An interesting juvenile sapsucker: Yellow-bellied? Red-naped? hybrid? -- in a pine at 11900 Skyline Drive, Oakland
Hammond's (after further review of photos) Flycatcher: on the grounds of Oakland's Dunsmuir House
Nashville Warbler: near the north side of Alameda's Chuck Corica golf course
Black-throated Gray Warbler: in Emeryville's Heritage Square for at least its third winter
Clay-colored Sparrow: two at Oakland's Middle Harbor Park
Western Tanager: in flowering eucalyptus on the east side of Alameda's Chuck Corica golf course

Finally, at last evening's compilation dinner a bird was reported that showed some of the characters of Common Redpoll. Since then the observer has reviewed additional references and is now convinced that the bird was in fact a European Goldfinch.

New to the Oakland count this year, but hardly a highlight, was Eurasian Collared-Dove, reported in two areas. Wild Turkey went from being a rarity in the count to ho-hum in less than ten years; will the dove leave that record in the dust?

My co-compiler, Bob Lewis, joins me in thanking everyone who took part in this year's count.

Please plan to join us on December 16, 2012 for the 72nd Oakland Christmas Bird Count.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net