Hayward-Fremont CBC: All time high 177 species!

scfloyd2000

Phil and Pat Gordon happily report that yesterday's Hayward-Fremont CBC posted an all-time high of 177 species! Highlights include Yellow, Wilson's, Black-Throated Gray, and Orange-Crowned Warblers; Western Tanagers; Black-Headed Grosbeak; Cattle Egret; and White-Throated Sparrow. Tons of shorebirds were seen, but we missed the large numbers of scaup seen in past years.

Thank you to the many, many volunteer birders who participated in the count! I know that like me you were grateful for the clear, sunny (if cold) weather after last year's horizontal, icy rain on CBC day. Looks like the birds were happy about it, too!

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont