Clay-colored Sparrow at Oakland Middle Harbor Shoreline Park (12/16)

Ken Schneider

I found what I believe to be a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW associating with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows here this morning, in between the two rows of heavy white metal structures along the path that leads out to the Hayes observation tower. This bird had a full tail and appeared slightly duller than the bird I reported on 21 November, but perhaps could be the same bird. I was able to get a number of decent photos this time and will post them tonight to get confirmation or correction of the ID from the group.

Also seen today were the continuing immature GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE (noted here for months now) and a single minima-type CACKLING GOOSE, both hanging out with the Canada Goose flock.

Good birding,
Ken Schneider
San Francisco