Brewer's Duck - Oakland Middle Harbor (May 2011)

scfloyd2000

The things you learn on Facebook. Today one of the extraordinary guides with Field Guides Inc. posted about seeing a Brewer's Duck in Tucson, and I realized that that is what the duck I saw at Oakland's Middle Harbor this past May was. Brewer's Duck was described by Audubon (see http://web4.audubon.org/bird/BoA/F39_G4c.html). Mystery solved!

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont

--- In EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com, scfloyd2000@... wrote:

Participants at Ohlone Audubon's field trip to the Port of Oakland's Middle Harbor this morning enjoyed beautiful weather, scenic views, and great birds! We started 2 1/2 hours past low tide so that we would see the hundreds of sandpipers, Dunlin and allies on the mudflats as well as the birds that fly in as the tide rises. Notable sightings were Whimbrels, Least Terns, Caspian Terns, Semipalmated Plovers, Red Knots (3), and an Osprey. A lone Surf Scoter and a lone Northern Shoveler were out on the bay with the scaups and aechmophorous grebes. Four Canada Goose families wandered the lawn and mudflats, each a pair of adults with from 2 to 5 goslings - one pair had 3 teenagers. Barn Swallows flew to the flats to collect mud for the nests they're building under the promenade pier. Savannah Sparrows are plentiful on the spit of land near the Observation Tower.

Before the group arrived, I found an interesting hybrid duck in the water by the pier. From photos online of similar birds, I think he's a Gadwall x Mallard. He joined another male Gadwall in copulating with a female Gadwall. The color in my digiscopes isn't great but his head is dark iridescent green. The golden cheek patches really stood out.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_0875.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_0871.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_0869.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/sing4me/IMG_0859.jpg