Thanksgiving in Heather Farm--Walnut Creek

rosita94598

It was a relatively quiet morning in the park today, though the sparrows were happy to come out and have some morning seeds. I had a "Silent Spring" moment upon the realization that I was not seeing any Mallards. Maybe they were worried about John Madden stuffing them into a Turducken.

On the pond below the Seven Hills School, I saw 2 female Hooded Mergansers. This is a private school. Best viewing is from the corner of the Contra Costa County Water District property between the equestrian area parking lot and the pond. Also on this pond were 3 male and 1 female Bufflehead.

When I saw a single female Hooded Merganser on the large, mostly natural pond in the park on Monday, it was the first time for this species in probably 3-5 years. Admittedly, someone might have seen one on a day when I wasn't around.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Hugh B. Harvey