Pink-sided Junco

Jeff Acuff

Hi Birders:

This morning, in a flock of about 7 Oregon juncos working the ground under my bird feeders, I found a pink-sided junco.

This being my first ever pink-sided, I was not initially confident of the ID. To rule out and separate it from first year or female Oregon, I spent a time studying the bird and consulting various field guides. Identifying characteristics included the lighter overall colors compared to Oregon, the extensive pinkish sides, and the bluish-grayish head with darker, contrasting lores.

I would welcome comments/information about the ID and especially about the local rate of occurance of this subspecies.

Good birding,
Jeff Acuff
Lafayette