Re: B&W Warbler--Heather Farm Walnut Creek

Joe Morlan

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 02:52:16 +0000 (UTC), cdlou37@comcast.net wrote:

At about 900am, I saw a black and white flash into
the pepper tree (I think) by the 'large paved' viewing area. It flew in from the direction
from the lawn area. It jumped to the tree next to pond, then to the railing. It was
the BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER. It started to feed on the top railing as described before,
across the entire section of the railing right to left. Then it flew to base of the tree
in the pond and that when I posted to EBB. I lost it at this point but I thought it was
behind the railing somewhere. I ran into John Harrison who had just talked to Hugh at church. We broke up and John went down the path to the creek crossing. I stayed at the viewing area.

After about 10 minutes, John came back for me as he had the bird down the path. The bird
was feeding on the large rocks in the little creek with the grate in the sidewalk. The
bird feed for about 10 minutes (now 925am). It jumped to the at the corner there and worked it way up and then I lost it. I hung around for about 20 minutes but failed to find the bird again. Others birds of note, there were two Orange-crowned Warbler.

Thanks Hugh.

Calvin D Lou
San Francisco, CA
Calvin Lou's photo of this bird is at the WFO web site:

http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

Click through on thumbnail for full-sized images.

Enjoy!
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
Birding Classes start Nov 2 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/