White-throated Sparrow, Marina Bay Richmond

Sheila Dickie

On Monday, October 17 between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m. I saw a tan-striped White Throated Sparrow behind the condos in Marina Bay, Richmond, near the intersection of Regatta Blvd. and Marina Bay Parkway. My original post yesterday seems to have gone astray, hence this repeat.

The bird was foraging with a mixed flock of White Crowned and Golden Crowned Sparrows. I had been catching glimpses for a week, but had a hard time getting a good look. The bird has quite a rufous back and a very distinctive tan eye-stripe, and it forages constantly keeping its head down so the white throat is hard to see.

Directions: From 580 West take the Marina Bay Parkway/So. 23rd Street exit. At the end of the ramp make a left onto Marina Bay. Follow Marina Bay, crossing Regatta Blvd. Make a left onto Bayside, a no-through street. Park at the end of the street and walk through the condos onto the Bay Trail. Turn left and follow the path along the creek. On the left hand side of the trail you will see numbered concrete light bollards. When you come to lights L560/561 start looking for the sparrows. They forage on the other side of the creek in the exposed dirt and plant debris. The birds also forage further along the creek but this location is where I have seen the White-throated sparrow.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond