CA Towhee bigger and stronger than Juncos

rosita94598

Starting yesterday morning, I noticed the CA Towhee, which was joined by a second one, has been taking the meal worms from our patio. If the Oregon Junco arrives first, it can grab a beakful of worms, otherwise the CA Towhee is much to big for the Junco to compete. The Junco lands nearby, but does not move in to grab worms. The Towhee(s) will grab them all. The Chestnut-backed Chickadees have not figured out that we put some worms for them into a little basket near the peanut feeder.

Meanwhile, a female Anna's Hummingbird and female Lesser Goldfinch continue to take nesting material. Sometimes it is the commercial material, sometimes raw wool.

Hugh B. Harvey