Re: Coyote Hills Regional Park (8/25) - Cacique

Joe Morlan

Jerry,

The head looks dark, not obviously chestnut, so I'm thinking Crested
Oropendola (Psarocolius decumanus). It's a widespread resident in South
America and adjacent islands.

My photo from Trinidad is at:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2983196530040004820EFtkfq

but represents a different island subspecies than the Coyote Hills bird.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:29:04 -0700, "John Cant" <jgcant@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

I think it is a chestnut-headed oropendola, natural range starting in
southern Mexico and then southward. Whatever it is, does anyone know if
some strange folks might keep this kind of bird as a pet, and hence this is
an escape?

John Cant

Fremont

_____