Re: Patterson Pass and Mines Rd (Dusky Flycatcher and Blue Grosbeak)

Eric Pilotte

As supporting evidence of the Dusky Flycatcher Zach and I saw on Sunday at Patterson Pass, I've uploaded a photo to the Yahoo Group 'Photos' folder for others to see (it is pending moderator approval at the moment). We spent 30-45 minutes studying the bird, and although the photo is imperfect to say the least, it is helpful as it shows the eye-ring. We also heard the bird giving a 'whit' call multiple times. Anyhow, feel free to email Zach and me with any comments/questions/thoughts on the picture/bird.

Eric Pilotte
Benicia, CA

--- In EBB_Sightings@..., "zachary.baer2" <zachary.baer2@...> wrote:

Today I birded with Eric Pilotte along Patterson Pass Rd and then onto Mines Rd. I have listed the highlights below:

Patterson Pass MP 4.98
1 BLUE GROSBEAK (Male) seen initially right next to the road and then worked its way North along the fence row up over the hill with the wind turbines.
2 Ash-throated flycatchers

Gate near Mile 5.5
3 Burrowing Owls

MP 5.9 to MP 7.1
1 DUSKY FLYCATCHER actively flycatching low on either side of the larger group of trees right near MP 5.9
3 Nashville Warblers
2 Black-headed Grosbeaks
1 Yellow Warbler
6 Black-throated Gray Warblers

Mines Rd
1 WESTERN RATTLESNAKE sunbathing on the road
2 Say's Phoebe

Good Birding,

Zach Baer
Berkeley, CA