Re: Pacific Golden Plovers can still be seen at Hayward Regional Shoreline

richard s. cimino

Late Friday morning 10-11 AM I made an attempt to locate the
PACIFIC-GOLDEN PLOVER.
I was not successful due the tide being out.
So I returned this morning a few minutes before 7AM for a 6.6 FT high tide.
In the distance ( scope - required) I counted a group of 86
Black-bellied Plovers behind some short pickle weed.
About half an hour went by before a low flying gull species spooked the
BLPL into a short flight and hop into the open.
What I thought were significant field marks from the short flight into
open did with the help of the scope produced the Male Pacific Golden Plover.
There were many juvenile Black-bellied Plovers but I could not sort out
a Pacific Golden Plover.
Closing note on the playa between the trail and the Caltrans Toll booth
there were 800 American Avocets on the sand bar.
All the species mention by Pat Bacchetti were still present in good numbers.
Enjoy the weekend.
Rich Cimino

On 8/4/2011 9:39 PM, bacpab wrote:

After reading Michael Park's afternoon posts, Judith Dunham and I made
a quick decision to head down to Hayward after work. We arrived at the
Interpretive Center, off of Clawiter Road at Hwy 92, at 7PM and headed
for the bay. Just as Michael has described, the majority of the
shorebirds are north (on the right) of the first big curve in the
trail. We located at least 1 male PACIFIC-GOLDEN PLOVER and 1 female
about 50-75 yards north of the trail. They were out in a muddy area
north of the shallow water, associating with Black-bellied Plovers and
American Avocets. The male had a dark cap, speckled flanks, and a
warmer tone, even in the fading light. The female had a prominent dark
cap and white supercilium. More birds were hiding behind the lip of
the grass, and the others that Michael saw were probably holed up
below our view. Also present were Black-bellied Plovers, Red Knots,
dowicher sp, Marbled Godwits, Long-billed Curlews, Willets, a couple
of Semipalmated Plovers, and a variety of peeps. A scope is really
helpful to identify these guys.

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland