Pacific Golden Plovers at Hayward Regional Shoreline

Patricia Bacchetti

After reading Michael Park's afternoon posts, Judith Dunham and I made a quick decision to head down to Hayward after work. We arrived at the Interpretive Center, off of Clawiter Road at Hwy 92, at 7PM and headed for the bay. Just as Michael has described, the majority of the shorebirds are north (on the right) of the first big curve in the trail. We located at least 1 male PACIFIC-GOLDEN PLOVER and 1 female about 50-75 yards north of the trail. They were out in a muddy area north of the shallow water, associating with Black-bellied Plovers and American Avocets. The male had a dark cap, speckled flanks, and a warmer tone, even in the fading light. The female had a prominent dark cap and white supercilium. More birds were hiding behind the lip of the grass, and the others that Michael saw were probably holed up below our view. Also present were Black-bellied Plovers, Red Knots, dowicher sp, Marbled Godwits, Long-billed Curlews, Willets, a couple of Semipalmated Plovers, and a variety of peeps. A scope is really helpful to identify these guys.

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland