MDAS trip to North Briones Regional Park

rosita94598

It was cool and breezy this morning, but 8 birders still counted 52 species at North Briones. After coming out of the trees to the grassland, we found a female Mallard with 2 ducklings at the first of the Maricich Ponds. As we climbed the Crest Trail, we found Lark Sparrows, Horned Larks and American Pipits. Then, along the ridge we had a Golden Eagle being harassed by three crows and a Red-tailed Hawk. The hawk was about 1/3 the size of the eagle, but dove at it repeatedly. At the first of the Sindicich Lagoons, we had two male and one female Gadwall. The second, and larger pond had a pair of Buffleheads and a Double-crested Cormorant. Behind the pond was a distant Lazuli Bunting. Western Bluebirds seemed to be everywhere. A pair of White-tailed Kites were acting in a romantic way and a pair of Red-tailed Hawks were seen copulating. As we returned to the parking area we had Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, an Ash-throated Flycatcher and a nice singing Orange-crowned Warbler.

Hugh B. Harvey