Re: Photos on EBB Yahoo website

Ken Wilson <kaeagles@...>

From a person who takes many photos, I believe it is easier to open a Flickr acct (or any other similar type acct) and paste a link into the post. This benefits all in that unnecessary file space isn't taken, the spread of viruses is non-existent, and allowing people to view your photo page allows them the opportunity to see all of your photos. This concept works well for most of the other boards and there really isn't any reason why it shouldn't work at EBB. Also consider that many who post at EBB also post at SBB and other boards that don't allow attachments.

Ken Wilson
Pleasanton

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, Glen Tepke <g.tepke@...> wrote:

From: Glen Tepke <g.tepke@...>
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] Photos on EBB Yahoo website
To: "EBB Sightings" <EBB_Sightings@...>
Cc: "EBB Sightings" <EBB_Sightings@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 4:25 PM

I would support allowing photo attachments on the EBB list (the first method in Len's post), but most birding lists do not allow attachments, and rely on the second and third methods for sharing photos. I think the main reason most birding lists do not allow attachments is fear that attachments will transmit viruses. However, jpeg, the normal file format for photos on the internet, is not a virus-friendly format - as far as I know, no viruses have been created that can be transmitted by jpegs. Len and I belong to another Yahoo group, Birds-pix, an international list for sharing bird photos, which allows attachments. I have received several, sometimes dozens, of attached photos in my email box every day for the last eight years and have never had a virus come through via Birds-pix.

A significant drawback to attaching photos is that Yahoo does not archive attachments, so EBB subscribers who view posts on the Yahoo website rather than receiving individual emails in their mailbox will not be able to see the photos.

One drawback to using the photo folders on the group's Yahoo home page (Len's second method) is that Yahoo limits the size of photos that can be uploaded, so if you upload a large, high-resolution photo, Yahoo will compress it and reduce the quality, which is pretty aggravating if you value high-quality photos.

A drawback to using links to photos on another website (Len's third method) is that it requires a website where you can post your photos, which casual bird photographers may not have. But most of the popular photo-sharing sites like Pbase and Flickr offer free accounts with limited functionality, so this drawback can be overcome with a little effort.

Glen Tepke
Oakland
www.pbase.com/ gtepke