Violet-green Swallow feeding chick- pic

VerneN

I was out birding (in Contra Costa County) and have just recently begun
scanning dead trees for sightings. A first for me, a Violet-green
Swallow pair had made its nest in a cavity of a tall rotting stump. They
were busily feeding what seemed to be only one chick. Here is one of the
rapidly-given food deliveries shot at a distance and heavily cropped:

http://www.pbase.com/image/136464630
<http://www.pbase.com/image/136464630>;

The chick would either be at the entrance or retreat into the nest
waiting silently or at other times cheeping insistently for more food.
Food usually came in about ten minute intervals with both parents
arriving in close succession.