From: Phila Rogers <philajane6@...>
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] RE: [EBB Sightings] Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 4:29 PM
Maybe it's one of those years as this
morning I caught sight of a chickadee exiting one of my
nesting boxes. Also a cal towhee was doing the 'come
hither' display on my deck.

So in spite of the thermometer reading 37 degrees this
morning, spring has started its head-long rush.

Phila Rogers

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, Rusty Scalf <rscalf@...>

From: Rusty Scalf <rscalf@...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] RE: [EBB Sightings]
Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 3:44 PM

This is really interesting and would
appear to be extremely early.

In Birds of North America, Chestnut-backed Chickadee
nesting dates are

reported as follows:

"Egg dates for California March 12 - June 7. Height of
season April 7 -

June 1."

" In California at Tilden Park, Contra Costa Co., mean date
of first egg

for P.r.barlowi over a 22 year period (n=430) March 25 +- 9
days."

-Rusty Scalf

_____

To: sightings@diabloaud ubon.com

I installed a nestcam box on Jan 1 under the eaves of my
house.

Chestnut-backed Chickadees started checking it out on Jan
13, and nest

construction started Feb 25. I put wood chips in the
box, which were

quickly cleaned out on 2/25, then redwood bark shreds were
brought in, and a

circular shape was constructed. I first saw 2 birds
at once in the box on

Feb 27. It was slow going until today, March 8, with
construction full

speed ahead. With the camera I am watching and
hearing them on TV. Other

materials include feathers and dog hair. I will post
progress.

Also, on my bike ride today Orange-crowned Warblers were
singing along

Redwood Road, south of Pinehurst Road, the first ones I've
heard this

Spring. I have not yet detected an Allen's
Hummingbird in my yard. They

are usually here in late January or early February.
There was a Rufous

Hummingbird yesterday at my feeder. Where's the
Allen's?

There was a Yellow-rumped Warbler in my yard on Jan 2, the
first in my yard,

I've been here in the Oakland hills for 19 years.
That was yard species

#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon

EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured@...