From: Rusty Scalf <rscalf@...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] RE: [EBB Sightings] Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 3:44 PM

This is really interesting and would appear to be extremely early.

In Birds of North America, Chestnut-backed Chickadee nesting dates are

reported as follows:

"Egg dates for California March 12 - June 7. Height of season April 7 -

June 1."

" In California at Tilden Park, Contra Costa Co., mean date of first egg

for P.r.barlowi over a 22 year period (n=430) March 25 +- 9 days."

-Rusty Scalf

_____

To: sightings@diabloaud ubon.com

I installed a nestcam box on Jan 1 under the eaves of my house.

Chestnut-backed Chickadees started checking it out on Jan 13, and nest

construction started Feb 25. I put wood chips in the box, which were

quickly cleaned out on 2/25, then redwood bark shreds were brought in, and a

circular shape was constructed. I first saw 2 birds at once in the box on

Feb 27. It was slow going until today, March 8, with construction full

speed ahead. With the camera I am watching and hearing them on TV. Other

materials include feathers and dog hair. I will post progress.

Also, on my bike ride today Orange-crowned Warblers were singing along

Redwood Road, south of Pinehurst Road, the first ones I've heard this

Spring. I have not yet detected an Allen's Hummingbird in my yard. They

are usually here in late January or early February. There was a Rufous

Hummingbird yesterday at my feeder. Where's the Allen's?

There was a Yellow-rumped Warbler in my yard on Jan 2, the first in my yard,

I've been here in the Oakland hills for 19 years. That was yard species

#92.

Johan Langewis

Oakland, near Skyline and Shepherd Canyon