From: EBB_Sightings@...
[mailto:EBB_Sightings@...] On Behalf Of Glen Tepke
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:26 PM
To: EBB Sightings
Cc: EBB Sightings
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] Photos on EBB Yahoo website

I would support allowing photo attachments on the EBB list (the first method in
Len's post), but most birding lists do not allow attachments, and rely on the
second and third methods for sharing photos. I think the main reason most
birding lists do not allow attachments is fear that attachments will transmit viruses.
However, jpeg, the normal file format for photos on the internet, is not a virus-
friendly format - as far as I know, no viruses have been created that can be
transmitted by jpegs. Len and I belong to another Yahoo group, Birds-pix, an
international list for sharing bird photos, which allows attachments. I have received
several, sometimes dozens, of attached photos in my email box every day for the
last eight years and have never had a virus come through via Birds-pix.

A significant drawback to attaching photos is that Yahoo does not archive
attachments, so EBB subscribers who view posts on the Yahoo website rather
than receiving individual emails in their mailbox will not be able to see the photos.

One drawback to using the photo folders on the group's Yahoo home page (Len's
second method) is that Yahoo limits the size of photos that can be uploaded, so if
you upload a large, high-resolution photo, Yahoo will compress it and reduce the
quality, which is pretty aggravating if you value high-quality photos.

A drawback to using links to photos on another website (Len's third method) is that
it requires a website where you can post your photos, which casual bird
photographers may not have. But most of the popular photo-sharing sites like
Pbase and Flickr offer free accounts with limited functionality, so this drawback
can be overcome with a little effort.

Glen Tepke
Oakland
www.pbase.com/gtepke