FOS Black-headed Grosbeak

Kay Loughman

Early this morning there was a male Black-headed Grosbeak singing exuberantly atop the neighbor's conifer for about 20 minutes.  At first I assumed it was the bachelor grosbeak that has overwintered with us for about seven years - just glad it's spring and hoping maybe this year he gets a mate.  But, surprisingly, this bird didn't come to the feeder.  So now I think the singer was a newly-arrived migrant, likely an individual who has been here in previous years, and who is confirming the presence of a remembered, reliable cafeteria.   Always a treat to have these birds around.

Kay Loughman
in the hills on the Berkeley/Oakland border
www.nhwildlife.net