Lake Merritt and the channel past Laney college

rosita94598

I spent a little time at the east(?) end of Lake Merritt near the pergola looking through the ducks there for anything other than Scaups, Buffleheads and Ruddy Ducks.  A few Common Goldeneyes were mixed in and some Canvasbacks were inside the end which is roped off from the rest of the lake.

I drove to the west end near the outlet channel and walked along the south side as far as 7th Street.  I crossed on the bridge, then crossed 7th to walk on the north side almost to the freeway.  I returned to Lake Merritt on the north side.

A Kingfisher was flying around and making noise, a Spotted Sandpiper flew up along the south side of the channel, Common Goldeneyes, but no Barrow's, and Scaups but no Tufted Duck.  I was not alone in looking, a Red-tailed Hawk was in a tree having lunch and two other birders were as unsuccessful as I was.

I drove to Powell Street in Emeryville and parked near the fire station.  Walking around and using my scope, I did see the Black Skimmers across the water and pretty much in front of the toll plaza.  I zoomed in almost to 60x to make it work.

I had wanted to drive to Richmond for the Black Scoter(s), but an accident north of Gilman killed that idea.  Traffic was backed-up to the maze.  I bought a cold drink in the little market and headed home. That's the way it goes, sometimes.

Hugh B. Harvey