locked Re: Garretson Point �Mosquitocide� and Skimmers

Joe Morlan

I suspect that this is the ISP (Invasive Spartina Project) spraying their
favorite long lasting water soluble general herbicide, Imazapyr in an
effort to eradicate hybrid Spartina from Arrowhead Marsh. Arrowhead's
Spartina is apparently indistinguishable from native Spartina (Cord grass)
except by genetic testing which shows that it is a hybrid swarm with
Eastern Spartina. The existence of these hybrid populations says to me that
the two Spartinas are not really different species, but just different
varieties of the same species.

When they first started this project, it cause numbers of the endangered
Ridgway's Rail to decline by about 50% but that didn't stop them. They
continue in this pointless, expensive hair-brained scheme to rid San
Francisco Bay of any remnant of Eastern Spartina.

Furthermore they ignored the planned protocol outlined in the EIR and did
not use a phased approach which would have mitigated rail losses. Instead
they went ahead and eliminated as much non-native Spartina claiming it is
invasive.

I posted a considerable history of this project on the GGAS-Chat mailing
list, but got dinged for being "disrespectful" to opposing views. I have no
interest in offending anyone and no longer participate in that group. My
understanding is that the GGAS conservation committee wholeheartedly
supports the ISP in spite of the damage it caused to endangered birds.

Sigh.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:25:24 +0000 (UTC), "Bev via groups.io"
<SLAKEWINGS@...> wrote:

The EBRPD used to spray horrific amounts of poison/herbicides/glyphosate by Arrowhead right up to the water (as well as poisoning the California Ground Squirrels who help bring Burrowing Owls.)  Our Coalition to Defend East Bay Forests kept trying to stop them and they seem to have lessened it but also might be trying to hide it.
(At Del Valle a few years ago, they sprayed from unmarked containers, as well as more openly, right up to the reservoif, and also right when the Magpies and other birds were collecting nesting material in those areas.

If worrying about mosquitos are the issue, they could use the many insect species who live in and on water and eat all mosquito larvae. (Those voracious and beautiful insects are the only methods to keep the UC Botanical Garden pond free of larvae.)

Contacting and questioning them could have an effect. A few of us stopped the planned aerial spraying of Briones park near that reservoir, just to kill one plant. (They had the most bizarre explanations.)

I so wish the birds and environment in the East Bay were protected like those in Marin.
Thank you for letting us know.

Bev