Black scoters Richmond Marina

Kathy Durkin

I saw two male black scoters in the Richmond Marina today. There have been two male black scoters in that location in the winter for the last few years. I've been on the lookout for them and today was the first day I saw them this year. They were hanging out today with some surf scoters on the south east part of the harbor (just south of the tradewinds sailing club) but in prior years I have seen them all around the inner harbor basin.

One of the things that I've noticed in prior years, is that they make a very mournful, plaintive call. I was riding my bike to work looking for them this morning. I recognized their call and I stopped to confirm their identity. If you're out looking for them, I recommend you also try to listen because it is a very special sound. I tried to record it but no luck today.

Kathy Durkin