Re: Fw: [EBB-Sightings] Continuing Townsend�s Solitaire

Joe Morlan

This morning, Tuesday 2 November, I stopped by the botanic garden hoping to
photograph the Townsend's Solitaire. I parked by the west fence and set up
a chair. After about five minutes the solitaire appeared on top of the
tall conifer near the entrance. It then moved to the fence where it
perched almost in front of my nose. I took numerous photos.

This rarity has been present since at least 22 October when found by Alok
Singhal. The small wet crest visible then caused people to suggest it
might be feeding on eucalyptus but that anomaly is completely gone now. I
believe those were just wet feathers.

This appears to be the third Townsend's Solitaire in Contra Costa County in
recent days with one on Mount Diablo on October 28 and one in Redwood
Regional Park today.

My photos are on eBird:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S97039655?view=photos

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:15:36 -0700, "J Palmer" <jesykapalmer@...>
wrote:

The Townsend's solitaire is still there. Seen at 10AM today (Saturday) in the smaller tree by the fence and grapes.

Jes and John
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA