Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek October 23 Saturday

rosita94598

The birds are working into the winter in the park, we certainly have plenty of Yellow-rumped Warblers.  During the last week we have had Orange-crowned and Townsend's, also.

Mallards have mostly left, but we have had as many as five Ring-necked Ducks and today it was two Buffleheads.  The Wood Ducks seem to have left.  They were last seen and photographed in the concrete channel of Walnut Creek below the Seven Hills School.  The creek is seen from the Contra Costa Canal trail.  They were photographed on Tuesday, Oct. 19.

Today was a good woodpecker day for me and others.  I heard both Downy and Nuttall's, saw a Flicker with Ted R. and we also had a Red-breasted Sapsucker.  I think I may have heard the Acorn Woodpecker which has been around for about a month, now.

Two Canada Geese on the main lawn have some trouble with entangled fishing line.  We have been trying to push the city to do something about illegal fishing in the large, mostly natural pond.  I have called the police twice in the last three days.

Hugh B. Harvey