Vollmer Peak Migration

Jim Chiropolos

My fascination with birding is understanding bird behavior and migration. My Vollmer Peak patch is a great laboratory.

Vaux swifts migrate over Vollmer Peak but you have to be at the very summit to see their migration as they zoom past south. I would guess if someone sat at the Vollmer summit for 4 hours on a good migration day after sunrise they would challenge the Contra Costa county high count for swifts. Like mountaineers, they have a attraction to ridges and high spots.

Green Towhees also use Vollmer as a migration stop over, another (maybe two) Green Towhee is at the bench, second year in a row I have found one at this very location.

Jim Chiropolos, Orinda