Re: Franks Dump Birding

Noah Arthur

Maybe the birds still used the site in past dry years, but not anymore. Today they definitely were not roosting there. The only shorebirds in the entire Dump were a few Snowy and Semi Plovers. I guess the corner flow was an indispensable part of what made that site so good for roosting shorebirds.

Today there were hundreds of Willets, Marbled Godwits, and Short-billed Dowitchers in the marsh north of Frank’s — more than I’ve seen before and probably including birds that used to roost at Frank’s — but no smaller shorebirds. The only peep I saw was a single Least at the Grant Ave. pond.

Noah

On Friday, July 2, 2021, 8:46:44 PM PDT, Jim Chiropolos <jnc@...> wrote:

Hi Noah,

I have seen Franks Dump pond go dry in previous drought years. The shorebirds still used it as a roost with the salt pans protecting the roost.

Maybe the corner flow will not attract foraging peeps if that is blocked but the main roost will stay in use.

Think of the Emeryvillle roost - it does need water on all sides to protect roosting shorebirds - - I think location is very important as the site is next to exposed mudflats with lots of shorebird food!

Its an interesting year....

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda