Re: Acorn Woodpecker near Lake Anza

Sharon Jue

" I've always thought of the East Bay Hills and slopes as a dividing line with Acorn Woodpeckers only to the east. "
Dr. Walt Koenig* said much the same in a talk I attended a few years back. He was mildly surprised to hear they had already colonized Claremont Canyon in Berkeley. However they are widespread and expanding their range, which already reaches South America: https://ebird.org/science/status-and-trends/acowoo/range-map . If you want to see more of them, eBird is a great tool: https://ebird.org/map/acowoo?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2021

*his research shows they have a very unusual social structure: http://hastingsreserve.org/current-research/acorn-woodpeckers.html
Enjoy these fascinating creatures!

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM Kate Hoffman <kateh44@...> wrote:
I've always thought of the East Bay Hills and slopes as a dividing line with Acorn Woodpeckers only to the east. But they are now active near the Skyline parking area in Redwood Park (not far from Valle Vista as the woodpecker flies). And logically it seems that the oaks that gave Oakland its name would have been an Acorn Woodpecker magnet. Glad to know they've made inroads in Tilden!

--
-Sharon Jue
~Berkeley