Acorn Woodpeckers near Lake Anza, in Tilden Regional Park

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Birders:

I live on the eastern edge of Berkeley, with Lake Anza in open view directly below our house. My first record of Acorn Woodpeckers at home was on September 30, 2014, a fall/winter irruption year. Hearing Acorn Woodpecker calling from the east, I went onto our deck to try to call one over to our side of the county line. Moments later I was chagrined to realize that they were already working the live oaks in our back yard.

Since then I’ve detected Acorn Woodpeckers pretty regularly from home, except for 2018 and 2019, when because of their absence or my neglect I recorded none in our yard. But I did detect them in Tilden those years, and on August 6, 2020 they reappeared in our yard. They’ve remained regular ever since.

They’re welcome any time.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net