Nuttalli White-crowns

rfs_berkeley

In the late 1990's I found a nuttali  White-crowned Sparrow nest at what was Magic Garden nursery on Heinz St in Berkeley (near present day Berkeley Bowl West). They were nesting in a flower pot among the plants for sale! I was able to alert the owners.

This afternoon I was walking back to my car at Outdoor Supply Hardware just off Ashby (formerly Orchard Supply) when I noticed an adult White-crowned Sparrow, bill full of larvae, hop under the metal screen into their garden center.

I went back inside and walked the isles of the garden shop. There are hundreds of plants, more than 50 flower pots hanging too high for me to examine.  I watched, waited, to no avail. I eventually had to head home as I'd left some tools outside.

If you find yourself at Outdoor Supply Hardware, keep an eye out. If the nest is in a flower pot would be nice to intervene prior to it's sale.

Zonotrichia leucophrys nuttalli  is an amazing bird. I'll swear they prosper in habitats too harsh for House Sparrows.

--
Rusty Scalf