Least Terns Emeryville!

Jim Chiropolos

Today I saw 90 to 100 least terns in Emeryvillle off Powell! This count smashes myprevious high count of 22 and is easily one if the coolest spottings here during my 30 years of working and birding here.

Hopefully this means the breeding colonies in Alameda and Hayward marsh are growing (any breeding colony counters to opine here?)

These birds must be from the Alameda colony. I wonder what food source pulled so many birds maybe six miles or so from their colony.

I like high counts as they may be an indication of a growing population!

Jim Chiropolos
Emervyille and Orinda