Re: Possible Black-chinned Sparrow at Sibley

Alan Howe

Hi all.

FWIW, as Trish Powell & I covered Sibley for the Christmas in May Bird Count on Saturday, we recorded a black chinned. I can't remember the exact location, though I think it was closer to Round Top--on the loop trail?

Peace,

Alan Howe
North Oakland

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 5:06 PM Douglas Vaughan <gdougvaughan@...> wrote:
On a Mothers’ Day hike at Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve, my wife got a brief but fairly good look at a bird she believes was a Black-chinned Sparrow. I did not get my binoculars on it, nor did we hear it sing. Worth a look if you’re in the area. Before it flew to the south, the bird was in the stand of Queen Anne’s Lace(?) around the paved switchbacks near the top of Quarry Road. This species was seen here just about a year ago.

Doug Vaughan
Berkeley