Pileated Woodpecker

wespey

The continuing Pileated Woodpecker was on the job today at the dead tree on Stream Trail in Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park. When I arrived at 11 am he was hard at work excavating. Wood chopping sounds were evident. The cavity is now so large that the bird can disappear into it. It would emerge occasionally to toss out mouths full of fresh wood chips. During the 90 minutes I stayed there he made a few brief forays outside the cavity, but not departing. He flew off to the west at 12:30pm. A steady stream of passersby and other birderes didn't seem to bother him.

Bill Espey