Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek Saturday morning

rosita94598

Rosalie and Barry Howarth were with me at the wooden railing when we saw a Spotted Sandpiper fly across the pond, landing on the broken rip-rap of the island.  It promptly did its tail-bobbing thing, and with our binoculars was quite obvious.  Otherwise, it looked like goose white-wash on the broken concrete.  Barry was able to photograph the bird before it flew off to our right, which is to the north end of the pond.

We also heard a Great-tailed Grackle, which was not being so obvious about its location.

An active Bushtit nest has been observed, more goslings are present at the pond near the private Seven Hills School, and a Wilson's Warbler was heard singing near the entrance to the city maintenance yard.

Hugh B. Harvey