Re: Pileated Woodpecker in/and Redwood Park Counties

Joe Morlan

Thanks for the tip. Several of us waited about two hours this morning (30
April 2021) before the Pileated Woodpecker finally appeared around 11:40am.
Photos:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S86746391?view=photos

Dropped pin here:

https://goo.gl/maps/avojtvr5xaYXDsDr5

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 10:29:36 -0700, "Doug Mosher" <dtmosher@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yesterday, 4/26, Carla Din and I had great views of the
previously-reported PIWO in Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park, along with
others. He (red cheek stripe) continued excavating his cavity in the
snag for nearly 30 minutes, at times more than half-way in as he removed
the wood chips. Then, for no reason apparent to us, he gave a short but
loud "wuk wuk wuk" and flew off upstream to the northwest.

Some photos at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougmosher/51142329345

Want to note, in case one isn't aware, that Reinhardt Redwood Regional
Park is in 2 counties; Alameda and Contra Costa. The county line nearly
bisects the Park. I had initially selected an eBird hotspot in Contra
Costa County by mistake (just up the Stream Trail), and corrected that
as the PIWO snag is in Alameda Co.

Here's a map of Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park/Roberts Recreation Area
(outlined in red) noting unincorporated Alameda County in darker green
and Contra Costa County in lighter green. Hope this helps with future
eBird reporting: https://bit.ly/2R1cpIn

-Doug Mosher
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA